Sleep Apnea - Self-Tests
If you answered yes to one or more of the questions below you are at risk for sleep apnea:
1. Do you experience any of these problems?
- Unintentionally falling asleep during the day
- General daytime sleepiness
- Unrefreshing sleep
2. Do you ever wake from sleep with a choking sound or gasping for breath?
3. Has your bed partner noticed that you snore loudly or stop breathing while you sleep?
Other questions you can ask yourself to determine if you are at higher risk for sleep apnea include:
- Have you ever nodded off or fallen asleep while driving?
- Do you often wake up with a headache?
- Do you have a neck size of 17 inches or more?
- Do you have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or higher?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Do you have a family member who has sleep apnea?
The Epworth Sleepiness Scale is often used tell if you have daytime fatigue, a symptom of sleep apnea.